Grace A. Halverson
Summer is for family gatherings and outdoor fun. Social distancing might alter your plans, but it doesn’t have to stand in the way of enjoyable evenings or eliminate your family traditions completely. Whether you celebrate with good food, movie nights, or even a video call, you can make summer 2020 memorable well past sunset.
If you are looking for inspiration to make your #stayhome summer 2020 #lit, here are several ideas to kickstart your planning:
- Family Bike Ride – a family bike ride is a good way to hang out together while getting fresh air and observing social distancing. Let your little ones decorate their bikes and go on an adventure in your neighborhood or on a bike trail.
- Stargazing – You can chart the stars with your family and bring the joys of science to life. Join the Space Center Houston’s virtual campout 6-9 p.m. CST (7-10 p.m. EST) July 11. Hear from NASA astronaut Dr. Robert Satcher as he shares his mission experiences. Your family can even make their own Martian lander or planetarium haven to explore the night sky together. (Read more and register for free here: https://spacecenter.org/virtual-campout/)
- Pool Contests – If you have a pool or sprinklers, encourage your kids to play relay games, Marco Polo, or swimming races. You could even provide small summer prizes to add an extra level of enthusiasm.
- Outdoor Picnic – You don’t have to be a grill master to enjoy an outdoor picnic. Decorate your deck or patio with festive string lighting. Make your favorite summer drink and some tasty finger foods, like fresh watermelon, finger sandwiches, and strawberry shortcake.
- Icy-cold Treats – Nothing tastes better after a fun day outdoors than an ice-cold delicious treat. Soda floats, ice cream Sundays, popsicles, etc. will bring a smile to your family’s face. You can even serve up your treats on decorative paper bowls or mason jars with colorful straws and toothpick umbrellas for extra flair.
- Backyard Movie Night – If you have a projector, string up a sheet and bring out sleeping bags, blankets, and pillows. Popcorn, muddy buddies, trail-mix, or other tasty movie treats can be made at home. Together your family can turn a movie into a memorable experience that might become a favorite summer tradition. If you have a firepit, end your night with s’mores as you sit back and watch the night sky.
- Sparklers – sparklers and s’mores are guaranteed summer fun for all ages. Light up sparklers with adult supervision and watch the magic unfold. Set up a camera with long exposure and draw on images with lights!
Whether your social distancing summer is filled with family traditions, cook outs, or relaxation, your own backyard can be the perfect venue with custom lighting. Extend your summer days into nights and give us a call at (706) 690-4326 to schedule a free nighttime lighting demonstration.