There is a very good reason why May is designated as Deck Safety Month. For that is the wonderful time of year when everyone ventures back outdoors to soak in the sun, enjoy wonderful warm weather and spend lovely Florida evenings outdoors with family, friends and neighbors.
The North American Deck and Rail Association is a strong advocate for deck safety – and having the right outdoor lighting for your deck is a great start to kick off this consumer awareness month-long initiative.
How To Add Deck Lighting To Enhance Safety
The deck lighting team at Outdoor Lighting Perspectives wants to make sure that you know the best way to illuminate your deck after the sun goes down.
1. Shine down – not up. When adding lighting to your deck, be sure that the beams of light are directed at the deck’s surface – and not eyelevel. Outdoor Lighting Perspectives has a great assortment of deck lighting fixtures to achieve that illumination sweet spot. A great choice that you should ask about during your complimentary deck lighting consulting is our Micro Deck Lights. Beautifully designed with a curved downward slope to project light where it’s needed most, Our Micro Deck Lights are designed to blend in to your deck’s structure and not stand out. Crafted from cast aluminum, they are available in your choice of the powder-coated colors of white, black or bronze with an easy flush mount to seamlessly blend in with your deck’s outline. With an actual size of 2.25 inches wide and 1.125 inches high, the only thing you’ll notice after installation is the glow of safety deck lighting.
2. Deck safety lighting to define your deck perimeter: Designed to softly illuminate your deck’s perimeter – as well as to cast the soft glow of energy-efficient light onto your deck surface – this dual purpose deck light is crafted out of cast brass with a weathered finish and a frosted glass lens to prevent glare. Featuring a lifetime warranty, our Savannah deck light features a directional “eyelid” which doubles its utility.
3. Be sure to illuminate pathways leading to the deck from the backyard: Should your guests arrive onto your backyard landscape, be sure they can safely find their way onto your deck with our exquisite pathlights. Also designed to cast light beams downward, they will ensure safe passage onto your deck outdoor living space. Fans of brass will enjoy our Saratoga pathlight, also made from cast brass with a weathered finish. Our Sarasota path light features a 6.3-inch-diameter cast brass hat to illuminate downward. Its underside is a powder-coated reflective white surface. It comes with impact-resistant clear or frosted lens options. It is approved as sea-turtle and wildlife-safe by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service when used with our wildlife-safe LED lamp. Heights are available in 10-inch, 18-inch, and 60-inch lengths. If the sheen and patina of copper is more to your liking, ask about our Classic LED Copper deck area pathlight. Crafted from spun copper, they feature a clear tempered glass convex lens. For safety leading to and around the landscape surrounding your deck, they boast the lighting power to define 10 steps or up to 30 feet of pathway.
4. Don’t leave functional deck areas in the dark: During your complimentary deck lighting design consultation, be sure to review the benefits of ensuring that all outdoor living deck areas are safe in the evening darkness including:
• Deck railings
• Deck steps and deck stairs
• Deck entrances and exit points
• Deck outdoor kitchen and grilling areas
• Deck spa and pool areas
Schedule Your Complimentary Deck Lighting Design Consultation Now While There Is Still Time
By phone, call our scheduler at 727-513-3420.
As long as you’re here right now, simply click here; and let’s set the best time to meet.
Robert van der Putten, owner Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Clearwater & Tampa Bay.