Cooking, grilling, and dining outside is a summertime staple. Now that the warm weather is here, you might fire up the grill for some burgers and brats, while partying with friends and family by the pool or in your backyard.
If you’ve ever tried cooking in an outdoor kitchen at night, you know that good lighting is essential to making sure the burgers get cooked to the right temperature. A properly lit area will save you multiple trips inside the house and will add a lovely ambiance and more light to your cooking space. Whether you have an expansive outdoor kitchen or a modest grill area, the right lighting can dramatically change your food preparation, cooking, and dining experience.
Consider the following outdoor kitchen and grill lighting ideas to brighten your space:
• Light Above the Grill: Light shining down from directly above your grilling area is best to ensure the entire food prep and cooking areas are adequately lit.
• Cafe/String/Bistro lights: Nothing makes your outdoor dining space more inviting than glimmering outdoor string lights, café lights, or bistro lights. Whether it’s daytime or the sun is setting behind the horizon, these lights can create a warm ambience and a memorable dining experience.
• Under-Countertop Lighting: Under-countertop lighting is not only aesthetically pleasing, especially when highlighting stonework, but also functional. Finding your mini fridge, cabinets, or other built-in compartments just got easier.
• Colored LED Lighting: LED tape lighting is used for many of the under-counter areas. Color changing options are available because of the advances in LED technology. Have it set to regular white light or mix it up for holidays, special occasions, or just because you can. It makes for a perfect and memorable evening.
• For separate grilling areas: If your grilling area is separate from your patio seating area, consider subtly linking the two zones with lighting.
• Direct lighting is more important in the kitchen zone than mood, so go for an overhead option, such as recessed lights or adjustable fixtures that can be pointed exactly where you want them to go.
Consider Other Outdoor Areas
Be sure to consider any other areas that could use lighting to increase the safety or enjoyment of your outdoor space. Lighting walkways, paths, and steps will increase the safety of your backyard by preventing trips and falls.
Planning an Outdoor Kitchen? Call us to install proper lighting!
Having an outdoor kitchen is a wonderful addition to any outdoor space, and proper lighting will make food preparation and entertaining easier and more enjoyable. If you are in the beginning of planning phase, contact us for the lighting aspect of planning and designing your outdoor cooking space.
At Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Metro DC, a landscape lighting designer will have the experience and knowledge to consider safety, security, and beauty when creating a custom lighting design. If you have any questions or would like to discuss your outdoor kitchen and grill lighting needs, please feel free to contact us. If you’re ready to start spending more evenings enjoying your outdoor space, schedule a free consultation and night-time demonstration! Call us today (202) 873-9113!